Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hey! Hey! Let's travel!

One of, if not the only, my goals in life is to become a world traveler.  I see travel shows on TV and stare at the screen with a goofy grin as I happily watch the exploits of the narrators. I watch as many varied shows as possible.  This lets me travel vicariously through the narrator.  Some of these places I know I'll never see.  Yet others I'm certain I will.

My interest in history, which culminated with a minor when I was in college, is also a driving factor in my desire to travel.  I read about all the historic exploits of these regions, countries and people and it excites me.  So much that I want to go and see these places.  Some of the countries I would go to just to see the sites of historic relevance.  For a lot of people the perception is that this sort of traveling is a big yawn.  For me that is so much the opposite.

I like to think of myself as rather cosmopolitan.  That's completely wrong of course, but it's what I like to think.  I want to embrace other cultures and people.  At least embrace them to a higher degree than many other people around me.  I want to become totally immersed in another land and be surrounded by another people.

I want culture shock.  And this may happen very soon, because now I have the money to travel.  And a passport.  And I intend to do both for the rest of my life.  My upcoming travels will not be one time deals.

No comments:

Globally Ignored