Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Russians Wear Coats in Springtime

I work a wage-slave job at a major retailer. It is most certainly an evil retailer, one of the well known kinds. Not overly evil, it's malicious evil hidden behind a mask of caring. And, oh, the lies the employees believe! The propaganda! The building is, with several exceptions, a hive of complete and utter idiocy and ignorance. There are a many delightfully head-smacking moments in listening to any conversation at my job.

But this all lies outside the realm of my point. I was recently offered (forced) to change jobs within the store. Thankfully this resulted in both a 'better' position and a raise. So at least I've got that going for me.

The other benefit that comes from this change in jobs is a change in hours. I am now a closer at a store that stays open until midnight. That means that I can once again become a night person. My college years were spent staying awake until 3 or 4 in the morning, either for no reason or to jam out a paper for the next day. It was my schedule and it was perfect for me at the time. This persisted until I got my wage-slave job. No longer do I see the sun rise just as I'm going to bed. Those days have left me behind.

Or they had. Until now. Not starting a shift until 3 in the afternoon means that I have a hell of a lotta time to fuck around with at night. This makes me, once again, a night person.

While my job was exciting for the first week (leading up to Christmas, duh) it has slowed down into what I'm guessing will be the standard pace. Dull and lifeless.

Finding ways to stave off the boredom while not attracting attention from the incompetent yet all too nosy managers will be a Hurculean task. There is no intellectual stimulation, there are no tasks recquiring stamina, no stressful paces. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It is certainly cool to a degree to have barely any responsibility. I still have to get on with my life at some point and get away from this hell-hole of a deadend of a job. In the end it still all seems pointless. There is still no way to get any job satisfaction, to feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I'm working to get paid. I'm doing a crappy job for a crappy wage.

So I'm a wage-slave.
At least I get to be a night owl.
Yeah, there's always that.

1 comment:

ashes10 said...

Except when you're not closing and have to be up at 8 AM. That sucks

Globally Ignored