Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Addicted to Rot

There are these drinks out there called "energy drinks". I don't know if you've ever heard of them... you might be from the Mongolian Steppe or something. Though I imagine even the corner convenience yurt has some Red Bull.

Well ever since tasting my first one back in 2007 I've been addicted. Well, I tried one back in 2006 when I was in college. I got a Full Throttle from a vending machine not knowing what it was at all. I drank it and thought decent, but it didn't capture my attention. After I started working at my current job I really got addicted. A coworker at the time was spending $70 a week on Monster, and it was being consumed by everyone else. So I gave it a shot. Not a week has gone by without having at least one. I've gone through several phases. Monster was my first and longest affair, both the standard and the M-80 flavors. After that I started branching out into all manner of these caffeinated potations. Rockstar, Red Bull, Amp (which I could get for 50 cents at the store), Full Throttle. For a while I was drinking coffee flavored energy drinks exclusively.

By far the one drink that stood out amongst the rest was Blue Demon. It was a flavor introduced by Full Throttle that was built on it's blue agave ingredient. For months it was the single can that on which I sought to spend my two dollars. It's flavor was something like a cross between berry juice and Mountain Dew. That may sound like a vomit-filled night for most people but for me it was pure orgasmic awesomeness. To make things even crazier, it was (allegedly) named after NWA Champion Blue Demon Jr. Sadly it seems to have been phased out as I can no longer find it around the Bangor area. There's a single vending machine, apparently, in the Bangor Mall that still carries the drink. Though I imagine it's only until they run out and it won't be replenished. So here's to my deceased friend, Blue Demon energy.

I think I'm addicted... I need to phase these grossly unhealthy drinks out of my diet. Baby steps. I'm definitely consuming fewer cans. Helps my health and my wallet to stop drinking these ghastly cans of gut rot. I used to drink at least one a day, sometimes two. Now I think I'm down to one a week. With any luck I can cut it the habit entirely.

That's what's going down... in my town.

No comments:

Globally Ignored