Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Brainstorm - A Word Cooler than the Meaning

I really struggled to come up with an idea for a post today. I'm not short of ideas in general but I couldn't come up with anything that really excited me for today's post. I saved it until the very end of the day which is poor time management on my part.

I spent most of the day screwing around and semi-procrastinating. Or living life. I spent all morning playing co-op on the new Splinter Cell game, which was quite a lot of fun. Then I finally managed to get Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer to work and played that for about two hours.

Later in the evening I've been floating around the internet instead of writing this post. I came across this amazing travel blog. I'm Just Walkin' is an ongoing work by a guy walking from New York to Oregon over the period of seven months. Along the way he takes pictures and tells small stories about his journey. His updates are daily which means there is always new content. In fact I'm reading this blog right alongside typing this and enjoying that so much the more. He captures the stuff that nobody else notices, the stuff that is so ordinary that nobody bothers to look at it. He captures that and it is beautiful in it's way. The dude is awesome so I highly recommend you add this blog to your reading list.

New idea! Daily links. I'm going to recommend a site or blog every day from now on that I think deserves some more attention. Gotta love the flow of ideas or at least you've gotta respect the brief moments of insight and roll with them. So there's something to look forward to in the next month. I won't be recommending these sights for you NOT to check them out. No, that would be excessively dickish of you. If I'm going to point these sites out to you, dear readers, you WILL be checking them out. Because I have that sort of power in my head.

Now onto other matters. Specifically headaches with pictures. That is to say ideas. And idea management I guess. I have no lack for ideas and I really like most of what I come up with. Sometimes they will just come and go without really sparking any real emotion from me, but surprisingly often I'll really get behind an idea. Keep in mind I'm speaking in this particular case about flashes of excitement involving story ideas or some sort of media intensive project, like a short film or something. Sometimes it's an idea for a serious fiction novel, sometimes a topic for a new blog. They've been ideas for vlogs, podcasts, novels and short stories. I love every idea that I come up with like it's a pet. The term pet project really means something when you become emotionally attached to it. Just because I don't have the power to move through these ideas to a completed state doesn't mean that I'm not just as committed these ideas as a published author or popular blogger. They don't go away, either. They sit wherever I've written them down and can be picked up at any point in the future and make me just as interested as the first day I wrote it down.

This sort of stuff is always coming to me and fortunately I now have the clarity of mind to write them down as they're coming to me. Usually this will mean either scribbling the details down in a shoddy overused notepad or opening a notebook document on the computer and frantically typing everything before it's gone.

Sometimes these momentary worlds will be gone before I can immortalize it. And I know they're gone forever. It's like forgetting what you were talking about except much more tragic. I get a deep sense of loss any time I lose an idea. If I feel that way then I know it was a particularly good one. Something I could have at least done something with, if not immediately than down the road or in cooperation with something else. I don't linger on the loss too long because I know something else will trigger a new project. My absent mindedness may hinder me but it also makes me eccentric, which leads to my extreme creativity. Getting a bit cocky now so it's time for me to be calling it a night. Just wait until I follow through with all my grand scheming and plans. It'll be well worth the wait.

I'll try and steer clear of these introspective posts for the rest of the month. There is a big emphasis on this way of thinking right now. Being unemployed really makes you look inside yourself and try and find what is really there. You don't feel good about it at any point. Ask anybody who's lost their job and been unable to find another one for a stretch of time. It involves a great deal of soul searching and probing to find what makes you work and what you are capable of and... I don't know. It's really hard to verbalize but it's something I know that the other unemployed-but-trying folks are going through. I hear it in the voices of my former coworkers who also haven't found a job. I see it in the eyes of the people they interview on television about the "recession". It's a tough time for us so just bear with the shit that comes out of our mouths, kay?

No comments:

Globally Ignored