Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

First Round Complete

It's late at night now, well not really. 11:30 or so at night. I'm sitting here fucking around on the internet reading articles, stumbling and watching videos. What I really should be doing is writing my speech for my friend's wedding tomorrow. I'm the best man so it'll be expected that I'll have to give a speech. Kinda sucks. Like I said I should really be writing that but I'm a professional level procrastinator so I'll just whip something up tomorrow. Bring a notepad with me and jot down some notes. From there I'll wing it, which of course I'm terrible at as well as being a very poor public speaker. Who the fuck will honestly care though? I'll just say some utter bullshit at the start, I've flirted with the idea of just recounting the storyline of Back to the Future 3. Like I said I should be doing that. If we're counting the things I should be doing I'd have to devote an entire encyclopaedia size tome to the subject. I should definitely not be sitting here with the Japanese lunacy of Ninja Warrior blaring in my ears as I read articles about movies and think about fun ways to write an end of the world scenario.

Oh and I really do want to write the end of the world! It's the general panic that I always enjoy the most. I was watching War of the Worlds earlier, the 2005 one, and noticed it had some amazing panic scenes. The breakdown of society was far too quick, though, and everything was sort of thrown together odd. Plus the Tim Robin scenes were pretty awful. The creepiness of the flaming train going past the railroad crossing is a striking image that sticks with me. Those moments when the collapse of society occurs are always my favorites. In Shaun of the Dead, which is a straight comedy, the long shot of Simon Pegg's Shaun walking to the store the morning after is breathtaking. Walking along with Shaun through the destruction of London is an experience. What are your favorite scenes of panic in disaster or horror movies? That is if I have any readers.

See I got to talking about that craziness and wasted that time I could've been writing that speech. I think my brother wrote his speech on the way to my other brothers wedding. Nobody puts a lot of stock on the best man's speech, yeah? If I could do the damn thing as Nigel it would be easy as snapping a baby seal's soft skull open with a 6 foot hammer. However, that character isn't well known enough to really get a good reaction. I mean he fucking should be because I think it's one of the most well developed characters I've ever created and has genuine comic value. Of course I might just be a self important asshole. I'm not sure. And I don't care. I'm no comedian.

I promised to talk about E3 but there's no reason to do so. It wasn't a particularly interesting show this year. No big surprises were showcased and the coverage didn't focus on the indie companies off to the side. Instead the coverage all focused on the dozens of shooters that had nothing differentiating them, pointless motion controls focused on a different audience than me, and the 3DS. Okay that last one seems like it'll be pretty awesome. I'm reluctant to accept 3D gaming because I thought it would be too burdensome. Nintendo solved this problem by making a portable 3d gaming system that doesn't require those stupid glasses! That is reason enough to excite me. I've had a history of poo-pooing stuff that I turn out to like in the end. Touch screens seemed foolish to me, but now I get them. The iPad looked like a waste to me, but (aside from a few glaring issues) it has won me over. I scoffed at the idea of an antiquated 1950s gimmick coming back to movies with such force, but again I may be wrong.

World Cup! I haven't talked about it yet. Real short today. Brazil and Portugal drew, like dickheads, which killed Ivory Coast's chances. Granted they had to make up a nine goal differential, which they didn't do in their 3-0 win. So Ivory Coast and North Korea go home and the two Portuguese speaking sides make it into the next round.

The final group saw Spain and Chile move to the knockout round thanks to Switzerland being unable to defeat Honduras. Spain win the group due to their 2-1 win against Chile, which towards the end just became a long game of pass as they wound down the clock. Spain faces Portugal in the battle of the Iberian Peninsula and Chile contend with fellow South American powerhouse Brazil. Both should be great matches.

Today was the final day of the group stage which means the knockout round starts tomorrow! Unfortunately that also means that I have to miss the most important game of the next round because of the wedding! The early game is South Korea vs Uruguay. I'm praying the South Koreans can gain an upset. The later game is the United States vs Ghana and I'm going to miss it. That's fine I'm not to bitter about missing it, I think I give them bad luck with my eyes. So I'm going to try and stay updated during the nuptials and hope for the best. USA can get through Ghana and Uruguay/South Korea. We were handed a dream route to the semifinals and if they perform at their absolute best it is within reach to get far. Our route doesn't put us into confrontation with the big boys until at least the semis, but that doesn't mean the little guys won't stop us in our tracks. GO USA GO!

Tomorrow, huzzah!

No comments:

Globally Ignored