Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Vuvuzela of Energy

The weekend, as I've said before, was extremely busy and I really couldn't find the time to update. I had a late post yesterday and another late one today. It's hard to keep up with blogging when you actually have stuff to do, but I doubt that's going to keep up. Today is a perfect example since it's been entirely about sitting on my ass and doing nothing. So I'll use the time to talk about the weekend.

My best friend got married and I was the best man. I'd said before it was going to happen because I had to give a toast. That actually went over well since I didn't prepare notes. I just shot from the hip and think I nailed it. Audience interaction always pays off well! I actually danced at the thing to a few songs with The Ashes. It was hot as hell in the tux-suit that I had to wear thanks to it being a brilliantly scorching day outside. We put them on hours before the actual ceremony and had to stay in them until after the reception was done. I don't know about the other guys but I left that thing a sweaty, stinky mess for the clothier to clean. I had opportunities to pose for pictures and pull an "1870s Black man no smile" mode, with more intensity.

We watched the United States game before the show and thanks to it going into overtime we had to listen to the extra time on the radio. It was probably the first game we were even able to locate on the radio too. Luckily it was a cheerful occasion or else the crushing defeat to Ghana would have been too much.

Trying to eat a cheeseburger in a tux is hard.

During the ceremony Ashes was on edge for quite a while waiting to hear news from her sister who had been in labor since the night before. All day long she was on edge telling anybody she could find about what was going on. It was the first thing on her mind and when her sister went to have a caesarian-section she was really getting nervous. I think she was worried something might go wrong. But then, just as the reception and tossing of the thingies got underway, she got a picture from her mother of her nephew. She was practically crying. In happiness of course. So she had an even more eventful night than me.

Isn't it odd how stuff like this tends to line up so well? Like in the Back to the Future movies where October 25, 1955 was a temporal vortex so was last Saturday. I knew at least two other people who went to weddings that day too. Coincidences are common though. Or maybe Saturday was a temporal waypoint. Perhaps I'll be back to that day at some point in the future.

World Cup time. It was pretty straight forward today as the big names all moved forward. Netherlands convincingly took down Slovakia 2-1. A last second penalty kick looked to breath life into Slovakia, but the whistle blew immediately and they were unable to build upon it. No upset to be had there. The second game was Brazil's 3-0 domination of Chile. Certainly it was no surprise there, though I thought there would be since Chile showed such great form in the groups. But there was nothing to be had for the slender country as Brazil pimp slapped them back to South America.

Japan tomorrow! BLUE SAMURAI! They've got to have something in there reserves. Paraguay aren't tough and look even with Japan. They can do it. It'll be nervy. Also the big Iberian showdown of Spain v Portugal. Favorites Spain will oust those Portos.

No comments:

Globally Ignored