Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Madison Avenue

Success - Working Man
Finally it's back to work for me after nine months unemployed.  As I had predicted it is a retail job at a place where I'd been offered a job before, Macy's.  This isn't the most glamorous place to work but my life was getting a bit ridiculous without any work or income.  They hired me on the spot for a seasonal position so this isn't guaranteed to be something I'll hold into next year.  For now though it provides sorely needed money.

The job puts me back into a retail environment which is not my favorite, but at least it's familiar.  I didn't enjoy my time at Walmart entirely yet I was able to adapt and master my duties.  That gives me confidence that I'll get the hang of this job in short order.  I applied mostly to retail jobs after moving down since I knew it was an area I was most likely to get offered a job.  Two interviews in two weeks wasn't bad since I had that many over eight months in Maine.  I was offered the Macy's right after the interview.  Experience is clearly key when it comes to snagging a job which really worries me about finding something better.  I don't want to be a retail associate/manager for the rest of my life but I'm worried that my lack of experience in any other field will limit my options.  I had applied for basic office jobs along with the retail jobs but never heard back from a single place.  I was shooting for the moon... well shooting for a distant island but didn't even come close.  I know that everybody hates office jobs yet I still want to give at try someday.   That's really not asking much at all.

Fancy Dress
There is at least one positive from this new job, it requires me to really dress nice.  Walmart didn't expect anything out of me or it's associates so I dressed for comfort.  At my new job I have to wear shirt, tie and jacket which really makes me happy.  I rarely had opportunities to dress up in my life so I can't wait to get started.  Our move cost us most of our money so I'll have to scramble together some money in order to purchase a jacket and some ties.  After about a week of working at Macy's I will have doubled the amount of times I've worn a tie in my life.  Now I'll always have that option in the future.  It really bothers me that I don't own any ties.  Are they relatively insignificant pieces of clothing?  Sure.  I feel like I should have some those damn things by this point in my life.  I will now so whatever.

Finances
Time to build the bank account back up after our move wiped us out.  It cost around $1500 to move to Westfield and left us with practically nothing.  Ashes and I have decided to combine our bank accounts which will certainly help rebuild the our finances quicker.  I'm not worried about the money since I knew employment was inevitable.  There is just a feeling of security by having some money in the bank.  We're not doing great but we're surviving.  I'm working on getting a writing/freelancing side career going but I'm hitting tons of roadblocks.  A lack of knowledge is proving to be the biggest problem in that pursuit.

Shutting the Hell Up
 I've got a job which means this won't be a sad unemployment blog for at least a few months!  Huzzah!  I just wanted to write about finally getting a (crappy) job because it has picked my spirits up a bit.  I'll leave it at that and get back to something more interesting next time around.  Double huzzahs!

No comments:

Globally Ignored