Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

One Month Later...

So I've finally reached a month in my daily blogging scheme. I missed two days total which isn't bad considering how little I had blogged for the first part of the year. I had the World Cup going on which provided something to talk about daily that didn't have to be very deep or thought provoking. Sadly, though, none of my posts ended up being very good or in depth. I wouldn't call any of them "articles" so to speak. That's because my thought process has been dominated by the World Cup and soccer in general.

I'm going to continue blogging daily until the end of the tournament, on July 11th. I'm so drawn into this cup that every one of these quarterfinals imprints it's emotion on to me. I was as into the Ghana-Uruguay match as anybody else. I was screaming at the screen when Gyan missed that penalty kick that lost them the tournament. Spain had me on a razors edge of sanity as they were taken nearly to the limit by Paraguay. When David Villa's kick went in I was jumping in insane joy. I love this tournament so much that I feel the passion like never before in my life. This is a sport I'll always watch for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the 2006 cup and all the soccer in between, from Premiership to Champions League to Serie A, but this cup is taking it to a whole other level.

Today was the 4th of July, Independence Day. The only day of the year that American's use the Latin form of dates. Well this and Cinco de Mayo,, but we borrowed that from Mexico and only use it as an excuse to get drunk. We didn't do much of anything. Slept in til 11 for some reason, reordered Netflix to our delight, and went up to my parents. Ashes helped, or 'taught' as she put it, my dad how to make shish-kebabs. It was awesome for me since kebabs are one of my favorite bbq'd foods in the world. I once had kebabs at a Turkish place and actually liked it. I know the Turkish people were making fun of us because we were Americans in England ordering Turkish food like it was Mickey D's. After the bbq we had to wait until dark to go to the fireworks. This year Bangor put on an acceptable display for the first time in years. Ashes took a few pictures and I took a short video, but we decided to just enjoy it. She got scared by the loud ones and grabbed my arm for the whole time. Like a frightened emu running from a rhinoceros wearing a wig... or not.

I watched Star Wars: The Phantom Menace today. That lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin is still one of my favorite fights in a movie. Not much else good came out of that movie. The cityscapes and scenery were actually better than the acting in that one. Tomorrow I'm going to talk about Star Wars I think. That oughtta alienate my one reader, Ashes.

Enjoy the rest of your fourth, readers. All five minutes of the holiday that are left. Next year in Jerusalem!

No comments:

Globally Ignored