Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Settling In, Mellowing Out

It hasn't even been a full week but I'm finally settling into my new home. Moving to Massachusetts is actually proving to be a smart option and has really brought a spark into my life that had been missing in Maine.

It is amazing how quickly the move to Mass has made a difference. Within three days of moving here I got an interview for a job. It has been months since I've had an interview in Maine or even heard back from any place I had applied to work. The job I have an interview for isn't the most glamorous, it's a jump back into retail just like I figured. At the same time it's not the worst thing in the world to do and if (god willing!) I manage to get the job I'm not going to let go. I really want to land on my feet down here and I'm confident that it will happen!

Getting used to Ashes' work hours has been rough. I'm adjusting to her new schedule, which is very similar to my old closing shift, without much difficulty. It gives me twelve hours of "free time". I'm sure she'd just love me categorizing the time she's away as "free time", but to that I'll just stick out my tongue at her. I manage to fill the time with my hobbies, internet and DVDs. I just got The Saboteur for 360 and have put a lot of time into that game. I make sure to wait up for her every night just in case of zombie or zepplin attacks. She'll need me awake if those happen! Her shift ends at ~1 a.m. and it leaves me to worrying just slightly, so I stay up to make sure she makes it home safe. From zombies and zepplins of course.

The first full day I was down here I fell ill with some sort of sickness that I can only describe as flu-lite. It was as sick as I'd been in several years and I was left incapacitated for the entire day. I was only able to stay awake for small amounts of time throughout the day, waking up just long enough to roll around with my stomach pains and head to the bathroom. One time I woke up to puke. Hadn't done that in a few years. Did I mention that while I was rolling around in pain, vomit, and angry cat stares Ashes and her entire family were off at eastern Massachusetts' biggest fair? I don't hold it against them as I would've buggered off and left my sick acquaintance abed as well. I can't count the times I've left a feeble sickly Silas alone while I gallavanted off on some excursion. After they returned from the fair Ashes took me out for some Mickey D's. This was now 8 or 9 at night and I was truly waking up for the first time and needed food. We also looked for chairs.

That day aside the rest of my time here has been great. Both Ashes and I have quickly gotten used to the basic layout of our new hometown, Westfield. Ashes is getting a handle for it quicker since she has the car most of the time. We went to the Holyoke Mall which puts any mall in Maine to utter shame. I ate at the malls equivalent of Sarku and loved it. I walked away from the experience with a small sense of satisfaction. America's mall craze in the 90s never really came to Maine and left us with some sorry shells, like the Bangor Mall. And the Bangor Airport Mall, which is a hilariously depressing shopping center. Down here in Mass it's monuments to consumerism. I didn't pick anything up for myself, well a couple of games, but I enjoyed the experience. I almost got an Andre the Giant "OBEY" t-shirt but they didn't have my size.

There's one thing that I can say for Massachusetts it's that this state puts Maine to shame when it comes to food. Already we've had so many options. Tomorrow we're going to Five Guys Burger and Fries in Enfield, CT. I'd never heard of the place so I can't wait to try it out.

It's going to be a hell of a ride down here and I know that things are going to start to turn around. There's a certain energy down here, a spirit of positivity that isn't present in Maine. I don't know what it is but Massachusetts seems like the place to have a brighter future and it's about damn time I felt that way about my life. Years of bleakness are behind me.

No comments:

Globally Ignored