Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Small Thumbs Up - WWE

I haven't watched WWE programming on a regular basis in maybe 4-5 years.  Back when it was starting to get really bad and the matches took a back seat.  Anyway, in that time there has been some stuff that I've read about that I want to talk about briefly.  So I'm going to give some small thumbs up today to the WWE.  Yes, I'm going to say positive things about a company that I so despise for taking the wrestling out of wrestling.

I'm well aware that I post a little bit too often about wrestling but it was something that used to be my main hobby.  I still regularly play TEW in order to book wrestling the way I want.  I don't imagine there will be too many more posts about wrestling in my life since my interest, from WWE down to ROH and the indies, has completely fallen off.

So here's the pluses about the WWE in recent years.

+ CM Punk is a three time World Champion.  That's right, CM Punk is a 3 time champion.  He's also one of the most popular heels in the company!  Gotta love that the rest of the world is in on Punk.

+ Bryan Danielson and Low Ki are in the company.  Just starting at the moment but they both have a huge wave of momentum.  Danielson was fired and the fans were so pissed off they hired him back in less than a month!

+ Huge focus on Rey Mysterio.  I remember watching him when he was "the little Mexican jumping bean" in WCW and loving everything he did.  His style brought cruiserweight wrestling in focus.  The X Division wouldn't have existed without his influence.  And now he's one of the big players in WWE winning two world titles in the last five years.

+ Hart Dynasty and the return of Bret Hart.  I've been all about Harry Smith for years and always knew he was going to be a success, and now he's reformed the Hart Foundation with TJ Wilson no less!  I've seen few of their matches but I respect their dedication to rebuilding the tag division.  It'll end in the standard team split-send to different shows-don't push-fire that EVERY FUCKING TEAM goes through, but right now they're great.  And BRET HART is back in the WWE in a major role.  He won the US title... for some reason.  Can't complain though because it has brought one of the greats back in the limelight.

+ Rebirth of ECW.  This concept was GREAT... about five years ago.  The show came back and it starting lagging very quickly, and the ECW Championship became a midcard title.  But for a while ECW was back on top and proving to be quite exciting.  Tommy Dreamer getting a push and title win, plus a title win for Chavo were both amazing moments.  TNA has recently copied the One Night Stand idea and bombed, the original ONS can't be matched.

A few quick minuses

- Death of the cruiserweight division.  WWE just never had respect for the little guys and the shows they could put on, and they convinced the fans that exciting wrestling wasn't worth watching.  For shame

- The writers, not being wrestling fans, just don't know what to do.  They often have no focus or stupid stories that everyone groans about watching.  Nobody listens to the fans... well the DO, as shown by Low Ki's NXT win, but not often.  It's a shame how many great wrestlers were fired because "Creative had nothing for them," and most likely refused to listen to the performers ideas.  Fucking management, eh?

There we go, my last wrestling post for the near future.  I've covered everything I have to say and I'm going to let all this stand as the final word.

No comments:

Globally Ignored